With Rutgers men’s basketball making the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 30 years, the annual tradition of One Shining Moment playing at the end of CBS’s telecast to close out the season finally included the Scarlet Knights. The montage of highlights and special moments from March Madness are played along with Luther Vandross singing David Barrett’s now classic song. Seeing RU included was another reminder that this was a special season.
Rutgers was featured five separate times during the 3:01 video. They are as follows:
- Jacob Young celebrating at the :10 mark.
- The opening tip of Rutgers vs. Houston at the :22 mark came as the lyric “the ball is tipped” played.
- Jacob Young running after a steal against Clemson at the :28 mark with the lyric “you’re running for your life” playing.
- Ron Harper Jr.’s dunk against Clemson at the :44 mark as the lyric “it’s March” played.
- Jacob Young getting blocked by Houston’s Quentin Grimes at the 1:04 mark.
(Hat tip to former OTB contributor Brian Fonseca for tweeting the specific timings of each Rutgers clip and Danny Breslauer for mentioning the lyrics.)
One Shining Moment, 2021 Edition pic.twitter.com/Ap6wVFFPQ1— CBS Sports (@CBSSports) April 6, 2021