After the first practice of the 2018 season took place on Friday, Head coach Chris Ash addressed the media. He touched on a lot of topics, including:
- In regard to the quarterback competition between Gio Rescigno, Johnathan Lewis and Artur Sitkowski, Ash stressed there was no timeline for a decision.
- Ash felt that the mental grasp of the playbook by all three quarterbacks was greatly improved from anytime previously.
- Elijah Barnwell has been moved from running back to linebacker. Ash indicated that Barnwell approached the staff due to him feeling he could help the team more on the defensive side. Barnwell did play linebacker in high school and Ash was pleased by his selfless act to volunteer to move positions.
- Zamir Mickens has surprisingly joined the team and for the full story, click here.
- Ash’s biggest concern regarding depth of the roster is on special teams. While the defensive depth is hurt by the six players being held out of camp due to the credit card investigation, Ash felt the impact was worse on special teams. He discussed how 5-6 true freshman played a lot last season on special teams and it was likely that would happen again this season.
- Ash was asked about the Urban Meyer situation at Ohio State, as well as his own culture at Rutgers. Ash expressed disappointment in the credit card investigation involving multiple players and stressed how player accountability must improve. However, he did express confidence that the cutlture of the program is strong overall. I thought he handled the questions well and gave confidence that he is upfront about issues that occur. He came across sincere when speaking of how he cares about the players in the program and family atmosphere he has created.
Day one is in the books. To watch the press conference for Chris Ash, click the video below.