It gets, uhhh.....chilly.....in Wisconsin.
The three game Big Ten opening series in Madison turned into a one game series due to harsh weather conditions
With cold temps expected all weekend, the two teams cut back the series to a Saturday and Sunday event, hoping to get two games in with no anticipation of making up any games. Two gone from the Big Ten schedule.
Sunday saw the two teams square off in front of - amazingly - an announced crowd of 326 brave souls, seeing the Badgers win, 6-3.Rutgers scored three runs in the top of the fourth to tie the game at three. Freshman second baseman Myah Moy led off the inning with her fourth double of the year and senior catcher Sierra Maddox scored her with an RBI single. Sophomore Hailey Hoklotubbe and senior Meaghan Wells drove in runs on consecutive fielder’s choice grounders to tie it up.
Whitney Jones (6-6) started and took the loss, going five innings. She gave up three earned runs on two strikeouts and four walks.
The Knights (15-15, 0-1 B1G) next face Penn State (4-20, 1-2 B1G) in an Easter weekend series beginning on Friday with a 3 pm game at the Rutgers Softball Complex.
Fri. March 30 PENN STATE 3 PM
Sat. March 31 PENN STATE 1 PM
Sun. April 1 PENN STATE 12 PM
The team then hosts a non-conference game versus St. Joseph’s on Wednesday at home against starting at 4 PM.
Big Ten Awards
Big Ten Player and Freshman of the Week
Maddie Westmoreland, Indiana || C/DP – Fr.
- Batted .429 with a .500 on-base percentage and 1.429 slugging percentage, two home runs and seven RBI last weekend, helping Indiana to a three-game Big Ten sweep of No. 18/19 Ohio State
- Hit a two-run home run in series opener and added a three-run home run and four RBI in the middle game of the series
- Reached base in all three games of the weekend series
Pitcher of the Week
Tara Trainer, Indiana || RHP – Jr.
- Posted a 2-0 record with two complete games, a 0.50 ERA and 21 strikeouts in 14 innings pitched, helping lead Indiana to a three-game conference sweep of Ohio State
- Tossed a two-hit complete game shutout and struck out 12 in series-opening win
- Also went the distance in the series finale, allowing just four hits and one run with nine strikeouts