A 5-0 record can get peoples’ attention. And Rutgers’ start to the 2017 season did just that as the NFHCA put RU at No. 22 in its latest poll. It is the first time since 2008 that the Knights are ranked.
The Knights had a win over a ranked opponent, then-No. 23 Old Dominion in addition to a 1-0 win over Penn.
Junior Linde van Schaik has a team-high four assists and is second on the team with 10 points. Freshman goalkeeper Gianna Glatz boasts a 0.57 goals-against-average and .895 save percentage.
But then there’s Daphne Groothuis. The Netherlands native has been a force for the Scarlet and she has been recognized - again - for her work.
For the second straight week, the #B1GFH Freshman of the Week is Daphne Groothuis!— Rutgers Field Hockey (@RUFieldHockey) September 5, 2017
Read: https://t.co/dfhqzBUrav pic.twitter.com/VsaeGFuJsu
Daphne, the two-time Big Ten Freshman of the Week selection, leads the team with six goals and 15 points.
Big Ten Field Hockey Awards
Offensive Player of the Week
Ciara Girouard, Indiana - M – So. – West Deptford, NJ – West Deptford
Defensive Player of the Week
Jenny Rizzo, Penn State - GK - Jr.
Freshman of the Week
Daphne Groothuis, Rutgers
M – Nieuwerker Aan Den Ijssel, The Netherlands - Thorbecke Voortgezet Onderwijs
• Led Rutgers to a pair of victories on the weekend, including a 5-1 upset over No. 23 Old Dominion
• Helped improve Rutgers to a 4-0 start to the season for the first time since 2008
• Scored the game-winning goal at Penn and recorded two goals and two assists against No. 23 Old Dominion on a neutral field
• Earns her second career Big Ten Freshman of the Week honor
• Last Rutgers Freshman of the Week: Daphne Groothuis (Aug. 28, 2017)