Rutgers opened up camp on Monday and in doing so, released an updated two-deep depth chart.
First depth chart entering Rutgers training camp. Notable: Chris Laviano and Zach Allen listed as co-starters at QB. pic.twitter.com/jG2LLW3CIN— Garrett Stepien (@GarrettStepien) August 8, 2016
At On The Banks, we’ll be maintaining this updated 2-deep on a public Google Sheet.
Obviously this depth chart is subject to change and will change. However, there are some significant changes from the post-Spring depth chart to note.
- Zach Allen has taken Hayden Rettig’s spot as shared starter. Last year, pretty much every two-deep had Rettig and Chris Laviano listed as co-starters. Allen and Laviano will likely be in same position for the duration of Fall camp.
- Justin Goodwin is listed over Josh Hicks at running back. This is the biggest shocker to me. Hicks seemed set to split carries with Robert Martin this year. However, positional journeyman Justin Goodwin is listed as the primary backup the lone starter Martin.
- Zack Heeman has overtaken JJ Denman as the starting right tackle. Denman really struggled last year but seemed to have the spot locked up. It is interesting to see Heeman here since he played left guard last year which is very different than tackle.
- Vance Matthews is listed as the starting WR opposite Andre Patton. However, there will many different players rotated into that spot including Carlton Agudosi and John Tsimis.
- Kevin Wilkins has switched from nose tackle to 3-technique and will back up Darius Hamilton.
- Eric Wiafe is a new face on the depth chart and will back up Sebastian Joseph at nose tackle.
- Ron’Dell Carter has moved from defensive tackle to defensive end and is behind Julian Pinnix-Odrick.
- Isaiah Johnson and TJ Taylor are surprising exclusions from the linebacker 2-deep.
- Grad-transfer Ross Douglas and JUCO-transfer Kobe Marfo are listed as the primary backups for starting cornerbacks Isaiah Wharton and Blessuan Austin.
- Zane Cambell has moved from corner to free safety and is behind starting FS Saquan Hampton.
- Kiy Hester has moved from strong safety to free safety, and now back to SS. He will back up Anthony Cioffi. Safety is now a strength of the team.
- As expected, David Bonagura is listed ahead of Jared Smolar for the starting kicker job.
- Michael Cintron has the early lead on Tim Gleeson in the punting competition.
- Matthew Sportelli has snagged the backup long snapping job from Alex Hutchings.