The first day of the 2016 NCAA Wrestling Championships is in the books. There were 330 wrestlers from 72 different schools on the mats as the tournament opened on eight mats at Madison Square Garden.
After the first session, only three RU wrestlers were still in the championship bracket. The other seven, including three seeded wrestlers in Anthony Giraldo, Nicholas Gravina, Billy Smith, lost their opening matches of the tournament.
The second session at night was not as kind for the Knights. Five RU wrestlers saw their NCAA tournament come to a close in the consolation wrestlebacks. Which meant, though that five continue.
141-pounder Anthony Ashnault advances to #WrestleNYC quarterfinals. Lewis (157), Perrotti (165), Gravina (184), Smith (HWT) in consolations.— Rutgers Wrestling (@RUWrestling) March 18, 201
Rutgers First Day Results
125 Sean McCabe, 14-14 vs. No. 16 Elijah Oliver (IND) 31-8 LOST 8-2
- Wrestlebacks vs. Jeske (ODU) LOST by fall 3:20 Eliminated from competition
133 No. 16 Anthony Giraldo, 17-14 vs. Nathan Kraisser (CAMP) 33-7 LOST by fall 6:12
- Consolation vs. Beckman, (LEH) LOST 13-3 Eliminated from competition
141 No. 4 Anthony Ashnault, 29-3 vs. Jamel Hudson (HOFS) WON Tech Fall 20-8
- Prequarterfinal vs. Gross (SDSU) WON Major Decision 15-2
- Quarterfinals vs. No. 12 Chris Mecate (ODU)
149 Tyson Dippery, 18-13 vs. No. 16 Patricio Lugo (EDIN) 29-7 LOST 4-2
- Wrestleback vs. Hammond (CSUB) LOST by fall 3:57 Eliminated from competition
157 No. 9 Richie Lewis, 26-5 vs. Andrew Atkinson (UVA) 24-9 WON 7-3
- Prequarterfinal vs.No. 8 Brascetta (VT) LOST 7-6
- Wrestlebacks vs. Cottrell (WVU)
165 No. 7 Anthony Perrotti, 21-3 vs. Forrest Przybysz (APP) 21-11 WON Fall 1:18
- Prequarterfinal vs. No. 10 Wilson (NEB) LOST 4-1
- Wrestlebacks vs. Thomas (ORST) Won 10-3 in Dual early in season
174 Phil Bakuckas, 18-13 vs. No. 6 Bryce Hammond (CSUB) 19-3 LOST 7-0
- Wrestleback vs. Wanzek (MINN) LOST 6-4 (SV) Eliminated from competition
184 No. 15 Nicholas Gravina, 21-9 vs. Jordamn Ellingwood (CMU) 28-12 LOST 9-3
- Wrestleback vs. Lampe (CHATT) WON 6-2
- Wrestlebacks vs. Sleigh (BUCK)
197 Hayden Hrymack, 17-14 vs. No. 2 J'Den Cox (MIZZ) 17-14 LOST by fall 1:18
- Wrestleback vs. Rotert (SDSU) LOST 11-3 Eliminated from competition
285 No. 12 Billy Smith, 27-8 vs. Ross Larson (OU) 19-11 LOST 8-4
- Wrestleback vs. Solomon (PITT) WON 3-0
- Wrestleback vs. Gillen (UVA WON 9-4
- Wrestlebacks vs. Cornwell (G-W)
Team Scoring after Day 1
Rutgers dropped five places from the first to the second session.
The third and fourth sessions kick off at 11:00 a.m. on Friday.
11:00 a.m. Third Session- Eight Mat Configuration, *Quarterfinals on middle four mats; Wrestle-Back Second and Third Rounds on outside mats.
8:00 p.m. Fourth Session- Six Mat Configuration, *Semifinals on inside two mats (one weight at a time) and Wrestle-back Fourth Round on outside four mats. Followed by Wrestle-Back fifth rounds on all six mats.
How to watch
ESPN will broadcast every match on every mat again this year on ESPN3/WatchESPN, in addition to linear coverage of all six sessions. Friday night and Saturday night are on ESPN, while all other sessions are on ESPNU.