With apologies for the delay (busy work week), here are my B1G power rankings after 5 weeks of play.
1. Michigan State - Sparty beat the snot out of Wyoming. Number 1 until somebody else takes it from them. That could happen as soon as this week. Up Next: hosting the Huskers.
2. Nebraska - the only remaining undefeated B1G team. The children of the corn thumped Illinois, and are looking like the class of the B1G West. Up Next: Sparty in East Lansing.
3. Ohio State - The Virginia Tech loss is looking more and more like a freaky anomaly. The Buckeyes pounded a pretty-decent Cincinnati team 50-28, and QB JT Barrett is starting to settle in. Up Next: at Maryland, for the Terps inaugural B1G contest at home.
4. Wisconsin - After a slow start, in which they went to halftime tied 3-3 with a lousy South Florida team, the Badgers remembered how to do football things, and beat the Bulls 27-10. They are 4-1, and Melvin Gordon is still really good (181 yds).
5. Minnesota - With only a loss to TCU, who very might well beat Oklahoma this week, the Gophers, at least for now, are looking solid after smashing Michigan in the Big House. Up next: Northwestern at home.
6. Maryland - The turtles' offense is finally starting to live up to its preseason hype, after the Terps beat an Indiana team fresh off a victory over the ESS-EEE-SEE's Mizzou on the road. Up Next: hosting the Buckeyes.
7. Rutgers - Rolled on Tulane, and just about everything worked right. Best win is still looking like Navy so far, and the ttfp loss to Northwestern was not helpful. Up Next: Michigan at home under the lights.
8. ttfp - If you jerks are going to beat us at home, AT LEAST HAVE THE DAMN DECENCY NOT TO GET YOUR ASS BLOWN OUT AGAINST NORTHWESTERN AT HOME. bastards. Up Next: bye this week. Sit in the corner and think about what you did, stupid.
9. Iowa - You beat Purdue. Waddya want, a cookie? Good not great. In all honesty, RU, ttfp and Iowa are difficult to separate so far. The Hawkeyes are off this week.
10. Indiana - Hard team to figure. Great win over Mizzou, loss to Bowling Green and a pretty serious beating against Maryland at home. Up Next: Hosting North Texas.
11. Northwestern - The Wildcats looked very competent smacking ttfp in State College. Where has that been all year? Up Next: hosting the Badgers.
12. Illinois - Destroyed by Nebraska. No surprise there. Up next: hosting Purdue. Someone has to win.
13. Michigan - Michigan lost three games before the calendar turns to October for the first time ever. They are reeling, but are they able to pull themselves together with a bunker mentality? Up Next: your Scarlet Knights in Piscataway, at night.
14. Purdue - Lost to Iowa. Not much going right for the Boilermakers. Up Next: at Illinois.