- And then there were four: the candidates interviewing with athletic director Tim Pernetti are Fran Fraschilla, Fran Dunphy, Al Skinner, and, Mike Rice. None is a perfect option, which is why this is still a search or a coronation.
- Jon Rothstein is reporting that Fraschilla is still in the driver's seat, and that Dunphy probably won't leave Temple (then why is he interviewing then; trying to get an extension?) Everybody's saying that Fraschilla has a heavy lead and Rice has little if any chance. Notably not involved: Jim O'Brien and Brian Gregory.
- Jerry Carino reported that Reggie Theus had interest too, but Chas Rich tells me (as I don't pay much attention to the national college basketball scene) that he's tried to get involved with basically every coaching search this season to little luck. His stock sure as fallen from being in the mix for every NCAA job a couple years ago.
- The Big East's bowl lineup is finalized, which includes the Liberty Bowl at least once every four years.
- Via Brian Bennett, Brett McMurphy identifies UCF as the most attractive Big East expansion candidate. I agree, although it's the bunch of a sorry lot. UCF and Temple (ECU's out for market reasons, Memphis football is baddd) are the only two that you can even squint and hypothetically see them as working.
News and links roundup for 4/28
By On the Banks