Between the NFL Draft, and the spring game, one of the strangest situations in college basketball has actually managed to fly under the radar for the past few days. Now the spotlight is free, and that could mean movement on the men's basketball coaching front in the near future. There are a couple new developments though, if you haven't been paying attention.
- Forward Gil Biruta has decided to honor his signed letter of intent and attend Rutgers in the fall. As much trouble as basketball will be in over the next year or two, it would have been considerably more difficult with further defections.
- Transfer Greg Echenique just lost his new coach at Creighton, with Oregon finally finding someone willing to take their Nike dollars in Dana Altman
- Jeff Goodman confirmed this report that assistant Craig Carter is going back to Siena.
- Shawn of On the Raritan Banks (I believe he also writes for several local papers) had some very interesting Twitter updates on Friday. The second message meshes with Carter leaving.
- On the heels of that bit, comes this from CSN Philly about Jordan supposedly meeting with the athletic department this week.
Eddie Jordan still maintains a home in Princeton New Jersey and a source close to the situation says while Jordan hopes to return to the NBA somewhere down the road, if he were asked to coach his alma mater, that would be a special job for him.
To both wildly speculate (without good basis), and piggyback on the heels of a lot of message board posters, Geoff Billet as an heir apparent conveniently links all of these threads together. As ridiculous as that sounds after a similar situation, albeit far more charged, blew up with Waters and Hill.
Zagoria did say that Fraschilla leads, and there's always the infinitesimal possibility that Tim Pernetti's CSTV Rolodex of Doom is going materialize Seth Greenberg or something along those lines. The whole prodigal son angle would make for a great story though, bringing good publicity for the time being and mollifying impatient donors.