- No, the Mike Rice spin machine never, ever, stops. Seriously dude - the open politicking is off-putting. RMU is a low-major; he's more of a candidate for A10 openings. Hoops Weiss declares Jim O'Brien the favorite, while Carino's list looks more intuitive. Adam Zagoria also checks in with basketball signee Gil Biruta as he waits to get out of his letter of intent. The awful thing about the Hill blowup dragging on is that the there isn't enough time to recruit to replace the transfers.
- Fooch spoke with Antonio Lowery last week at a practice session.
- Dr. Saturday assessed Tom Savage over the weekend. It's very well researched, although apparent that Hinton didn't see much of Savage last year. For instance, the reason Tom drew comparisons to Elway is that both are excellent scramblers for their size. The good doctor seems to be under the impression that Savage isn't that mobile because he took a lot of sacks last year, even though that was mostly the fault of a porous offensive line.
Shamar Graves has worked out for the Giants and the Jets, and Brad Biggs is reporting further interest from other teams. Graves is an excellent athlete, and his stock would have been much better off if his application for a fifth year had been successful. He had an inconsistent junior year, but projects as a pass catching H-Back in the NFL. I'm fairly high on Shamar's chances, although he'll certainly need more time to develop.
Mike Mayock likes Ryan D'Imperio as a draft sleeper, owing to Ryan's versatility on special teams and even the possibility of playing fullback. It's surprising that Mayock didn't mention D'Imperio's strong junior campaign, in contrast to an injured-filled 2009.
- Haven't had a chance to listen yet, but here's a new radio interview with Devin McCourty.
- In addition to the New York Giants, the New England Patriots are now showing interest in Darnell Stapleton. The St. Louis Rams re-signed DT Gary Gibson. He's a favorite of their coach Steve Spagnuolo, and played well last year before going on injured reserve. Congratulations are in order for Gary Brackett, who's getting married in July, and continues to work with his Impact Foundation charity. Omaha of the UFL took Mike Fladell in their initial expansion draft.
News and links roundup for 4/20
By On the Banks